Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Proceedings' editorial workflow can be visualized in four stages: Recruitment, Review, Layout, and Release. Click the links in the columns below for further details.
Marketing and Communications Manager (role on Atla staff)
– Open Journal Systems
– Scholarly Communication and Digital Initiatives staff
The EiC and SCDI coordinate to track incoming submissions, invite contributions from Atla Annual contributors, and provide support for contributors in the submission process.
- EiC consults with SCDI to set dates for 2 webinars covering the submission process - one before and one after the conference.
- SCDI requests the spreadsheet containing a full listing of conference content expected to be contributed and shares this with the EiC by June 1.
- EiC arranges the spreadsheet into an ordered table of contents.
- SCDI and EiC host scheduled pre-conference webinar.
- SCDI and EiC host scheduled post-conference webinar.
- EiC contacts listed conference participants as needed with regular reminders, encouraging them to submit to the Proceedings.
The EiC is responsible for evaluating all submissions, working with contributors to ensure they are of acceptable quality, and sending accepted submissions to production.
- EiC receives email notification of a new submission from OJS.
- EiC logs into OJS, navigates to the Submissions panel, and opens the submission by clicking the View button next to the submission.
- The EiC reviews the submission.
- DECLINE: If the submission is out of scope or inappropriate for this publication, the EiC clicks Decline Submission.
- ACCEPT: If the submission is appropriate for inclusion in the publication, the EiC will move it directly to Copyediting by clicking the following in sequence:
- Accept and Skip Review
- Do Not Send an Email Notification
- Next: Select Files for Copyediting
- Check the box next to all submission files
- Record Editorial Decision
- Copyediting occurs as required by the submission:
- If only minor changes are required, the EiC makes these at their own discretion and uploads the revised file.
- If major changes are required, the EiC starts a discussion under the “Copyediting Discussions” heading with the author to request revisions. This will notify the author that they have been added to the discussion in OJS.
The EiC will work with the author within this stage until the submission reaches an acceptable form. The revised file should be uploaded.
(Note: the email indicates they were added to the discussion for the submission and provides the subject line of the discussion and a link).
- Once copyediting is complete, or if no changes are required, the EiC sends the submission to production and assigns a proofreader.
SCDI are responsible for proofreading, layout, design, and making arrangements for printing the publication. The EiC is responsible for writing an introduction and for review of the finished galleys.
- SCDI will proofread submissions and then notify the EiC by replying to the proofreading request discussion on the Production tab for the submission.
- The EiC will then assign the Layout Editor.
- The Layout Editor will generate individual article galleys for each contribution to the Proceedings, along with cover, masthead, and staff-produced back matter.
- Concurrently, the EiC writes an introduction to the Proceedings and submits this through OJS, advancing it directly to Production.
- Once galleys are complete, the Layout Editor notifies the EiC by replying to the galley request discussion on the Production tab for the submission.
- The EiC reviews galleys and requests any needed changes.
- The Layout Editor makes needed changes, creates updated submission galleys, compiles full-issue galleys, and notifies SCDI when these are ready for review.
- SCDI reviews full-issue galleys and requests changes if necessary.
- SCDI notifies the Layout Editor by email that galleys have been approved.
- SCDI loads individual submission galleys into OJS under the Publication tab and assigns them to the issue.
- SCDI verifies Table of Contents and adds the full issue PDF galley to Issue.
- SCDI verifies all issue metadata and contents, then sends it to the MCM for printing.
Release & Promotion
SCDI are responsible for publishing the new issue in OJS and coordinating final production and mailing of print copies. The EiC is responsible for promoting the release.
- MCM sends the issue to the printer.
- SCDI publishes the new issue to the Proceedings website.
- SCDI informs the EiC that the issue has been published.
- The EiC submits a newsletter announcement to email@example.com and posts an announcement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The EiC uses any other channels at their disposal to promote the new issue and directs authors to the Atla LibGuide for suggestions to promote their own work.
Proceedings Workflows and Procedures for OJS 3.3.0
Prepared February 2021
Last revised June 2022
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.