Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
TCB's editorial workflow can be visualized in four stages: Recruitment, Review, Layout, and Release. Click the links in the columns below for further details.
The EiC is responsible for ensuring that all content is received by the submission deadlines. Most content comes regularly from the same suppliers.
- The EiC sends reminders to regular contributors in advance of the submission deadline. Most of these are officers of Atla's TSIG, most notably the NACO and SACO Funnel Coordinator, the TSIG Chair, the CONSER Coordinator, and the Liaison to the CC:DA. Other TSIG members are welcome to contribute appropriate content of interest to the readers also.
- The EiC compiles content for "Professional Development Opportunities."
- The editorial board collaborates to recruit content for "Perspectives and Practices" via direct contact with potential contributors inside and outside of Atla, as well as putting out calls for submissions through Atla's blog and newsletter, on the atla-tech listserv, various other technical services and cataloging listservs, appropriate Facebook pages, tweeting, etc.
The EiC is responsible for evaluating all submissions, working with contributors to ensure they are of acceptable quality, and sending accepted submissions to production.
- The EiC receives email notification of a new submission.
- The EiC logs into OJS, navigates to the Submissions panel, and opens the submission by clicking the author's name and submission title.
- The EiC reviews the submission.
- If the submission is to be accepted, the EiC clicks, in sequence: Accept and Skip Review, Do Not Send an Email Notification, Next: Select Files for Copyediting, and Record Editorial Decision. This advances the submission to OMP's Copyediting stage.
- Copyediting occurs as required by the submission:
- If only minor changes are required, the EiC makes these at her or his own discretion and uploads the revised file.
- If major changes are required, the EiC starts a discussion with the author to request revisions. The EiC will work with the author within this stage until the submission reaches an acceptable form.
- Once copyediting is complete, or if no changes are required, the EiC sends the submission to layout.
Atla staff are responsible for layout and design. The editorial board is responsible for selecting a cover image. The EiC is responsible for providing editorial content and finalizing the order of contents.
- The layout editor generates individual article galleys and notifies editors when these are ready for review.
- While galleys are being prepared, the editorial board selects a cover image and the EiC updates the front matter.
- As galleys become available, the EiC reviews them and requests any needed changes.
- The layout editor makes needed changes, lays out the editorial content, and prepares whole-issue galleys, notifying the EiC when these are ready for review.
- The EiC reviews full-issue galleys and requests changes if necessary.
- The EiC notifies the layout editor and the SCC that galleys have been approved.
TCB Workflows and Procedures for OJS 3.1.2
Prepared October 2019
Last revised April 2020
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.