Generally it is not affordable to digitize everything in a libraries collections and not everything is worth digitizing. It is important to consider carefully and have a plan for what you will be digitizing. Below is a list of things to consider.
Scope of the project
- What if any intellectual property rights are connected to the materials?
- Do you have the rights to legal creation and dissemination of a digital version?
- For more information please see the Atla Copyright and Fair Use Libguide here https://atla.libguides.com/copyright
Public Access - are there any limits to public access on the materials you are considering?
- How will materials be used - online access, preservation etc.
- Is there demand for access by current or potential users?
- Can you reach new users in new ways by making the materials available digitally?
- Does this material exist online somewhere already?
- Can value be added through digitization?
- Projections of the costs of digitization in relation to the benefits
Condition of materials
- Will the process of digitizing damage the items?
- Can digitizing these materials reduce wear and tear on the physical item?