What is a digital collection?
"A digital collection consists of digital objects that are selected and organized to facilitate their discovery, access, and use. Objects, metadata, and the user interface together create the user experience of a collection" (from NISO Framework for Building Good Digital Collections)
What makes a good digital collection? A good collection ...
- is created according to an explicit collection development policy
- is described so that a user can discover characteristics of the collection
- is curated
- is broadly available and avoids unnecessary impediments to use
- respects intellectual property rights
- has mechanisms to supply usage data
- is interoperable
- is sustainable over time