Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Proceedings' editorial workflow can be visualized in four stages: Recruitment, Review, Layout, and Release. Click the links in the columns below for further details.
Marketing and Communications Manager (role on Atla staff)
– Open Journal Systems
– Scholarly Communication Coordinator (role on Atla staff)
– Scholarly Communication and Digital Projects Manager (role on Atla staff)
The EiC and the SCC coordinate to track incoming submissions, invite contributions from Atla Annual contributors, and provide support for contributors in the submission process.
- The SCC compiles a spreadsheet on the Atla Google Drive containing a full listing of conference content expected to be contributed and shares this with the EiC.
- The EiC arranges the spreadsheet into an ordered table of contents.
- The SCC and EiC work together to set dates for a series of two or three webinars on the submission process on dates following the conference.
- After the conference, the EiC contacts listed conference participants, encouraging them to submit to the Proceedings.
- The SCC and EiC host scheduled webinars.
The EiC is responsible for evaluating all submissions, working with contributors to ensure they are of acceptable quality, and sending accepted submissions to production.
- The EiC receives email notification of a new submission.
- The EiC logs into OJS, navigates to the Submissions panel, and opens the submission by clicking the author's name and submission title.
- The EiC reviews the submission.
- If the submission is to be accepted, the EiC clicks, in sequence: Accept and Skip Review, Do Not Send an Email Notification, Next: Select Files for Copyediting, and Record Editorial Decision. This advances the submission to OMP's Copyediting stage.
- Copyediting occurs as required by the submission:
- If only minor changes are required, the EiC makes these at her or his own discretion and uploads the revised file.
- If major changes are required, the EiC starts a discussion with the author to request revisions. The EiC will work with the author within this stage until the submission reaches an acceptable form.
- Once copyediting is complete, or if no changes are required, the EiC sends the submission to layout.
Atla staff are responsible for layout, design, and making arrangements for print publication. The EiC is responsible for writing an introduction and for review of the finished galleys.
- The SCC contacts the print shop with an initial estimate of page count and number of copies, confirming a place for the project on their production calendar for late November/early December.
- The layout editor generates individual article galleys for each contribution to the Proceedings, along with cover, masthead, and staff-produced back matter.
- Concurrently, the EiC writes an introduction to the Proceedings and submits this through OJS, advancing it directly to Production.
- Once galleys are complete, the layout editor notifies the EiC.
- The SCC prepares a shipping list for print copies and contacts the print shop with a revised page number estimate / print copy count.
- The EiC reviews galleys and requests any needed changes.
- The layout editor makes needed changes, compiled full-issue galleys, and notifies the EiC when these are ready for review.
- The EiC reviews full-issue galleys and requests changes if necessary.
- The EiC notifies the layout editor and the SCC that galleys have been approved.
- The SCC verifies all issue metadata and contents and sends to the MCM for approval.
Atla staff are responsible for publishing the new issue to the website and coordinating final production and mailing of print copies. The EiC is responsible for promoting the release. Press Advisory Council members are responsible for reviewing contributions and making recommendations for development of content for other publications.
- The SCC finalizes the shipping list for print copies.
- Upon receipt of galley approval from the MCM, the SCC sends the shipping list and final galleys to the print shop and forwards invoice, when received, to the MCM.
- The SCC publishes the new issue to the Proceedings website.
- The SCC informs the EiC that the issue has been published.
- The SCC shares a modified version of the final contents spreadsheet (see Recruitment step 1) with the at-large members of Atla Open Press's Advisory Council, who use it to identify contributions to be solicited for further development in other Press publications.
- The EiC submits a newsletter announcement to email@example.com and posts an announcement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The EiC uses any other channels at her or his disposal to promote the new issue and directs authors to the Atla LibGuide for suggestions to promote their own work.
Proceedings Workflows and Procedures for OJS 3.1.2
Prepared February 2021
Last revised February 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.